In Attendance: Deb, Heather, Jeanette, Rachel, Amanda, Lisa, Jen, Pat, Lael, Elaine and Jan.
Show and Tell:
- Deb showed her 37” square Fracture Pervalong quilt top made out of blenders; Her Mardi Gras Confetti quilt top pieced today; And her BOM 70” square quilt top
- Heather shared her Dinosaur Baby quilt top
- Elaine showed her batik charm square “Economy Block” made entirely from charm squares; Debbie Caffrey’s Buzz Saw pattern made from red, white and blue jelly rolls; Her inspired small quilt called “It’s Loud in Here” and her Oakshot cotton quilt made from a fat quarter stack she ordered from the UK.
- Jeannette showed her completed “Tradewinds” quilt that she made for her son.
- Rachel showed her Auburn colors “Labyrinth” patterned quilt that is going to be a wedding gift.
- Jan showed her hand quilted “Cherry Blossoms” quilt that she will display at the library
- Lisa showed her Kaffe Fassett global block swap quilt top; a Kaffe Fassett fabric quilt top made with brights and swirled fabric and a stuffed owl in progress for the quilters desktop.
- Lael showed her “X Marks the Spot” quilt of teal and brights and a Hearts quilt made from a pattern seen in Quilty magazine.
- Pat showed her rainbow charity quilt blocks, her railfences in blues; pieced pillow tops; a wallhanging in purples; a little girls dress and a Hexie quilt in progress
Next Sewing Saturdays
- March 22nd- Open sew and Lotus Quilt made with Hex and more ruler
- April 12th- Open sew with emphasis on small projects to go in the library window
- May 3rd- Charity Quilt assembly day
- May 24th- Open sew with emphasis on small projects to go in the library window
- June 14- Open Sew and Elaine will show her technique used in her “It’s Loud in Here” quilt
April 8, May 13, June 10, July 8
March 28- 30- Arly sew down at Lael’s lakehouse. Please coordinate bedding, chairs and tables and food with Lael.
April 10-13th- Red Rooster retreat with Elaine and her scrapbooking friends. There are 11 spots still open. The price is $245 and includes food. Please let Elaine know asap.
April 23-26, 2014- Paducah quilt show
June 5-7- Alabama Quilt Symposium- register now for classes. Karen Combs, Sharon Shamber, etc. http://www.alabamaquilts.com/index.htm
September 10-13- Chattanooga quilt show
Quilting Retreat for next year- We discussed going to Grand Oaks (between Guntersville and Scottsboro). We can have the weekend of March 13-15. The price is $210 with meals included- check-in on Friday afternoon and checkout Sunday afternoon. Or we could go to Snowbird which is less expensive at $175 and is located in Crane Hill, Al. There are several weekends open there. The feedback was that Grand Oaks was nicer with more comfortable beds. We need to decide soon so we can get on the schedule if we chose to go to Grand Oaks.
Library Update- Please bring your quilt(s) for display! It has been well received in the library and what a great way to share our craft and art with the community. Bring your quilts by the next meeting or contact Deb directly. Please fill out the information form located on the facebook page so that we have accurate info about your quilt(s). If you have pictures of it, email to Deb. The next hang date will be after the next meeting in April. If you would like to put your quilt up for sale, the fee for the library is 20% of the sales price.
We have gotten a $1000 ladder donated from Werner! We only have to pay the shipping fee of $156 which the library will be paying half if not all of that fee. The ladder will stay at the library.
Library Window Display- We have the months of June and July to show our small quilted items like bags, baskets, pot holders, small wall hangings, placemats, etc. Be thinking about what you can share.
Modern Quilt Guild Challenge- This will be made from Michael Miller fabrics and Elaine will take the last spot.
Jen’s Ugly Fabric Challenge- Jen shared ½ yard of “ugly” fabric for us to work our magic on. We need to have something made from it, preferably quilted, by the meeting in June. There will be two categories- “Everyone’s Favorite” and the “Most Modern”.
Charity Quilt Block Update – Lael is working on getting donated materials for our charity quilts and she is collecting the UPC’s from Hobbs batting. We discussed to whom we will donate the quilts and Lisa is going to check into the pediatric cancer center at Huntsville Hospital. Our original idea was to donate to the families of infants in the NICU but apparently the need is being filled for those quilts.
Demo sign ups- April- Jen; May- Pat; June- Lael; July- Deb; August-Karen; September- Jan; October- Amanda; and November is open.
New Charity Block Demo – Lisa showed how to make her Wonky Diamond Block. Please see the facebook page under files to find the tutorial.