Workshop - Introduction to Serging
Due to limited space, registration is currently open only to RCMQG Members.
Saturday, July 29th | 9am - 4pm
Calico Cove Quilt Retreat
621 Kennamer Cove Rd, Woodville, AL 35776
Instructor: Tahirih Osborne
In this six hour class, we will cover all the basic functions of a standard 3 or 4 thread serger. Students will create samples of each technique covered in class, and take home a comprehensive reference workbook. In this class, students will learn how to:
- Choose the right thread and needles for an overlocker project.
- Thread an overlocker for 2, 3, or 4 thread stitching.
- Balance and adjust thread tensions, cutting widths, and stitch length for different projects.
- Confidently troubleshoot common problems.
- Use differential feed to manage stretch.
- Navigate curves and corners, and secure overlocked seams.
- Create roll hems, blind hems, flatlock seams, and more.
Class includes a 1 hour break for lunch. (Note: Calico Cove features a full kitchen (fridge, microwave, stove, oven.) which attendees may use, however food is not available to purchase on site. Please bring your own food/drinks as desired.)
Each student will be provided a material kit which includes: workbook binder, sample fabrics, 4 spools of practice thread, and tweezers.
Students are responsible for bringing their own standard 3 or 4 thread serger. This will allow you to create a reference workbook customized for your unique machine.
Course attendance is capped at 7 students to ensure adequate time for this personalized instruction.