New Members: Angel Atkinson, Eli Kadish, Melissa Labella - Welcome!!!
- Show and tell
- Showed off pizza box quilts and exchanged them among members
- Huntsville Sew and Vac has offered to do the Thangles buck a block starting in January. 4 color combinations were shown and everyone who was interested placed their name on the list.
- Demonstration by Fern – how to make an easy pot holder or coaster called the Criss-Cross - the tutorial can be found here... To make the potholders, use batting and/or insulbrite and change the size to 8"
- Discussed doing the Alzheimer’s quilt – it is a 9x12 art quilt with triangles on each corner to hang. These quilts are sold and money donated to research. We are looking doing this by March and sending them out in April.
- Free quit Jan 21st at Deb Richey’s club house.
- Need to bring name tags to the Feb meeting.
It will be held at Deb’s subdivision club house starting around 9 am. Deb will open up the club house at 8 am.
You will need to put together strip sets. Strip sets should compose of several strips of fabric anywhere from 1 ½ inches to 2 ½ inches. The strips on each end should be around 3 inches to make it easier to piece. These strips should be the length of the fabric ~ 42 inches. Each strip set should be at least 10 inches long. You will need ~ 4 to 6 of these strips sets depending on how large of a kaleidoscope you would like to make. 5 strip sets will make a kaleidoscope of ~ 30 inches and 6 strips will be around 36 inches. Deb recommends making one additional strip set since you may not like how one of the strip sets fits into the kaleidoscope.
Some suggestions on strip sets:
- Use mostly solids since if you use a patterned fabric you may need to match the pattern.
- Fabric strips should have more of a color wash affect unless you like strong contrast between parts of the kaleidoscope.
- Bring a design wall and freezer paper.