Show and Tell
- Jan showed a quilt top she is making as a gift that will have appliqued roses
- Vicki showed her quilted pillowcase top that is part of a swap in her Sew Modern Group
- Deb showed her completed Mardi Gras quilt that is quilted with many free motion motifs and showed her completed Lotus quilt
- Lael showed her almost completed quilt top with pieced carrots
- Pat made multiple Hexie Mug Rugs that can have multiple uses
- Elaine showed her completed Celtic Sherbet quilt and her unique Fibonacci Quilt that is being used in her math classes at school.
- Vicki showed her Spider Web string quilt in progress and a quilt top she is making out of her husbands clothing.
Next Sewing Saturdays
- April 12th- Open sew with emphasis on small projects to go in the library window
- May 3rd- Charity Quilt assembly day- Please bring fabric you might like to donate for quilt backings and also white fabric (like Kona) to add as sashings, etc.
- May 17th- TENTATIVE- Dye day at Karen’s house- Jen will be teaching the technique and gathering the supplies for us. She will need to know how many yards of fabric you want to dye.
- May 24th- Open sew with emphasis on small projects to go in the library window.
- June 14- Open Sew and Elaine will demo improvisational piecing and her technique used in her “It’s Loud in Here” quilt
- July 12th
Upcoming meetings – Second Tuesday of the month at 6 PM- Morton Hall UAH Campus
- May 13- Bring your library window display items
- June 10- Jen's Ugly fabric challenge due
- July 8
- Aug 12
- April 23-26, 2014
- June 5-7- Alabama Quilt Symposium- register now for classes. Karen Combs, Sharon Shamber, etc. http://www.alabamaquilts.com/index.htm It is at Bumpus Middle School in Hoover. You can submit a quilt for the symposium up until the deadline of May 1st. Go to http://www.alabamaquilts.com/quilt-show.htm
- September 10-13- Chattanooga quilt show
Quilting Retreat for next year- We voted on going to the Snowbird. Our first choice of dates is March 7-8 and second choice is Feb 19-22, 2015. We need a minimum of 6 people.
Prices are $85 for 2 days/1 night; $175 for 3 days/ 2 nights; $245 for 4 days/ 3 nights. There is some flexibility- you could come for some or all of it.
Modern Quilt Guild Challenge- Deb has the fabric for those participating. She will have it at the next sewing Saturday on April 12th.
Jen’s Ugly Fabric Challenge- We need to have something made from it, preferably quilted, and it’s due at the June meeting. There will be two categories- “Everyone’s Favorite” and the “Most Modern”.
Library Update- Please bring your quilt(s) for display! It has been well received in the library and what a great way to share our craft and art with the community. Please fill out the information form located on the facebook page so that we have accurate info about your quilt(s). If you have pictures of it, email to Deb. The next hang date will be May 1st and help is needed at 8 AM in the library- contact Deb. If you would like to put your quilt up for sale, the fee for the library is 20% of the sales price.
We now have our ladder at the library so we will be able to hang the quilts ourselves.
Next hang dates: Beginning of August, Beginning of November for Christmas quilts and early January to take down the Christmas quilts and hang new ones. The library has requested no Halloween quilts.
Library Window Display- We have the months of June and July to show our small quilted items like bags, baskets, pot holders, small wall hangings, placemats, etc. Be thinking about what you can share. Deb needs these items in late May, before the beginning of June.
Charity Quilt Block Update – Our current block is the Wonky Diamond block. The tutorial is on the facebook page and on our website. Please bring your blocks in when you have them made. Lisa is checking into possibly donating our quilts to the Huntsville Children’s Hospital.
Demo sign ups- May- Pat; June- Lael; July- Deb; August-Karen; September- Jan; October- Amanda; and November is open.
Rotary cutting blades- Deb will be placing an order for 45mm rotary cutting blades bought in bulk and costing about $1 apiece. If you want to buy some, she will sell them to you in packs of 10. Contact Deb.
Demo- Elaine showed her Economy Block that she designed using only charm squares. Several block sizes were presented on her tutorial sheet with directions for a layer cake size as well.