Show and Tell:
- Deb showed her scrappy crazy ruler quilt of Stars on Yellows, her City scapes quilt top, her Dalek cross stitch pattern quilt made from 1 ¾ inch squares and her quilted Urban Nine patch quilt with the Urban Neighborhood pattern on the back.
- Lisa showed her completed T-shirt quilt, two quilts made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics and from the same modern pattern, and a baby quilt made with brights and polka dots that is for sale.
- Pat showed her completed table runner made with all blue fabrics, her bright blocks quilt top and another quilt top in progress
- Elaine showed her quilted layer cake quilt called confetti and her quilted Economy block quilt.
Next Sewing Saturdays
- June 14- Open Sew and Elaine will demo improvisational piecing and her technique used in her “It’s Loud in Here” quilt
- June 28 - *bumped forward due to July 4th. Strips and Curves available with Jan and she will bring her ruler
- July 19th –Photo day for MQG Fabric Challenge. Karen will bring DSLR to take Hi-Res photos
- Aug 9th
- Aug 30th
Any suggestions on workshops or quilt alongs you would like to do? Is there anyone who would like to run a workshop or quilt along?
Upcoming meetings – Second Tuesday of the month at 6 PM- Morton Hall UAH Campus
- July 8
- Aug 12
- Sept 9
- Oct 14
- Nov 11
Modern Quilt Guild Challenge- Due July 25th. Remember that your item has to be quilted. It can be anything, but must be quilted. Winners will be announced Aug 8th. Karen will take professional photos on July 19.
Jen’s Ugly Fabric Challenge- Pat made a wonderful totebag from a pattern she designed herself and Lisa made an optical illusion quilted wall hanging. Both “won” a brights fabric layer cake stack from Jen.
- September 10-13- AQS Chattanooga quilt show- registration is now open. The Chattanooga MQG has contacted us and invited us to meet them etc as they are supporting the show. More info to follow. http://aqsshows.com/Chattanooga/
- March 13-15, 2015- Guild Quilting Retreat at the Snowbird. Price is $175 with a minimum of 6 people needed to attend. http://snowbirdretreat.com/
Library Update- Hanging Quilt Display
Next hang dates: August 1st, Beginning of November for Christmas quilts and early January to take down the Christmas quilts and hang new ones. The library has requested no Halloween quilts since they will be hanging Aug - Oct. For the November quilt change, Christmas or winter holiday quilts would be great. Please lend your quilts to be displayed. Remember that quilts can also be sold there with 20% going to the library.
Library Window Display- June’s window display is up and looks great. Thank you to all who loaned your small quilted items. We have the month of July so please see what you else you might have to put in the window and get them to Deb by the end of June.
Charity Quilt Block Update – Our current block is the Wonky Diamond block. The tutorial is on the facebook page and on our website. Please bring your blocks in when you have them made.
St Jude’s Children’s clinic will be receiving our charity quilts which there are around 13 or so that are being finished. There are mostly just toddlers (2 and under) and teens that are current patients so we have adjusted the quilt sizes to fit this (45” x 45” and (45” x 60”). Once we get them all finished, we will deliver them to the clinic and leave them with the Child Life Coordinator, Beth Daniel to distribute.
We only have 3 completed quilts right now. For those that have quilt tops out there, please finish them and we still need volunteers to take home a quilt top or two to finish. Please contact Amanda or Lisa.
We have another Charity Quilt top assembly day loosely scheduled for January 2015. It was a fun day so plan on coming out to the next one.
Fabric Craft Sale- Deb discussed this possibility of working with Kids Market (which is a consignment shop) to sell our fabric that we no longer want.
Demo sign ups- June- Lael; July- Deb; August-Karen; September- Jan; October- Amanda; and November - Elaine
June Demo- Lael showed a quilt top that utilizes color value and is foundation pieced. It’s a pattern from Bad Skirt blogs called Bargain Basement. It can be found here: http://badskirt.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html