Show and Tell
- Deb- Butterfly quilt for charity, a star quilt made with the creative grids scrap crazy 6” ruler, her City Scapes quilt top, and her Michael Miller fabric challenge quilt that looks like Chinese lanterns.
- Elaine showed her Michael Miller fabric challenge quilt with foundation pieced stars
- Lisa showed a picture of a One Block Wonder quilt in progress.
- Pat showed her completed Geometric Shapes quilt, her butterfly quilt, her half-square triangle purple wall hanging, her Michael Miller fabric challenge wall hanging and her batik quilt she made from the scrap crazy 6” ruler.
- Jen showed her completed double sided quilt made from a purchased quilt top and Hawaiian fabric pieced back and her completed “pizza box quilt” that was started a few years ago.
- Sarah showed her swoon block quilt in progress
- Diane showed her Modern TV quilt and an Alabama quilt made with a hounds tooth pattern
Next Sewing Saturdays:
- July 19th- Professional picture day for your Michael Miller quilts
- Aug 9th
- Aug 30th
- Sept 20 - Open Sew
Upcoming meetings– Second Tuesday of the month at 6 PM- Morton Hall UAH Campus
- Aug 12- Bring a yard of Christmas fabric and Christmas quilting craft idea(s)
- Sept 9th
- Oct 14- Modernize your quilt block challenge due
- Nov 11
- Dec 9- Christmas fabric challenge due
Modern Quilt Guild Challenge- Due July 25th. Remember that your item has to be quilted. It can be anything, but must be quilted. Winners will be announced Aug 8th. Karen will bring her camera to the July 19th sewing Saturday for those that would like their projects photographed.
- September 10-13- AQS Chattanooga quilt show
- September 11, 12 & 13, 2014 Quilting Live Cobb Galleria Centre, Atlanta
- March 13-15, 2015- Guild Quilting Retreat at the Snowbird- The price is $175. There is a minimum of 6 people to attend. A deposit is due after the new year. http://snowbirdretreat.com/
Library Update- Next hang dates: Beginning of August, beginning of November for Christmas quilts and early January to take down the Christmas quilts and hang new ones. No Halloween quilts.
If you haven't yet loaned a quilt for display, please consider it. It's a great way to share our beloved art/craft with the public and brighten our library. You can also put your quilt for sale with 20% of the proceeds going to the library.
Library Window Display- those that loaned items for the library display window will be returned at the August meeting and Aug 9th Sewing Saturday.
Charity Quilt Block Update – Our new block is the Economy block. This is the block Elaine demoed in April and an online Tutorial is at Red Pepper Quilts: http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/08/economy-block-quilt-in-progress-tutorial.html
Please bring your blocks in when you have them made. If you have a charity quilt you are working on, please finish them so we can make our first donation to St Jude's here in Huntsville.
Demo sign ups- August-Karen; September- Jan; October- Amanda; and November- Elaine
Demo- Deb demoed her disappearing hourglass quilt block made by taking a pinwheel block, cutting in along each edge and rearranging for a secondary pattern that is a star.
Challenge - Due at the October meeting - take a traditional quilt block and modernize it by cutting, shuffling and reassembling it. All blocks created can be donated to the charity quilt block stash if you like. Even if you feel it is unsuccessful please bring it to share so we can all learn from your experimenting!
Christmas Challenge- Bring in one yard of a Christmas fabric you really like to Augusts' meeting. We will show our yards then take them home to make something Christmasy from it (that can be used for a gift at our Christmas meeting). Please bring some ideas, pictures or patterns to share for inspiration.